04 April 2011

Healthy Healthy Healthy! (Or Not)

Since my latest trip to the grocery store, I've been wondering what type of packaged snacks are healthy enough for my growing toddler. Obviously I don't feed her chips or candy or soda... but the mommy-blogosphere seems to be filled with super moms who make their own kid snacks or can afford organic ones. I am in awe of these women, but I have to admit that I'm just not one of them. A lot of times I actually feel pretty pathetic for not making ALL of our meals and snacks and drinks from complete scratch with organic ingredients... but somewhere in the back of my mind, I know that I just can't afford the time or the money at this point in time.

I'm in the middle of a job search, and I hope to be back in the workforce within the next month. This whole experience has been pretty depressing as well, but that probably deserves its very own post. Going back to work means that I'll have very little time during the week to cook or prepare snacks. *hides face in shame*

I should say that I am NOT knocking moms who work full-time. I think you're amazing women for being able to balance work and home, something I know I won't be able to handle very well. Personally I've never had any personal career ambitions (not even a little), and I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. So the thought of going back to work full-time--and leaving my baby in daycare for NINE hours a day--is unbelievably depressing and frightening. I hate being poor.

Anyhow, I'm not about to buy snacks purely based on convenience though. I went through all the trouble of cloth diapering just because it's healthier for her little bum, so I certainly don't plan to buy crap with high levels of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, sodium, trans fat, MSG.. basically all that bad stuff they keep sensationalizing in the news. Now I'm not gungho enough to eliminate them completely from our household diet; I'm a firm believer in the mantra: "Everything in moderation!"

So what are the readily available packaged snacks needing ZERO preparation that I deem worthy enough to be ingested by my precious baby? For better or for bashing, here's my picks:
      -mozzarella string cheese
      -yogurt
      -chocolate pudding
      -rice pudding
      -organic unsweetened apple sauce
      -whole grain Goldfish
      -strawberry Fig Newtons
      -vanilla wafers
      -ginger snaps
      -plain or honey nut Cheerios
      -thin pretzel sticks
      -crackers
      -Cheez-Its
      -Chex Mix
      -granola bars
      -Mum-Mums
      -any Korean rice snacks (sooooo healthy!)

BUT when I do have a bit of time, these are some snacks that need very minimal preparation:
      -fresh fruit
      -hard-boiled eggs
      -steamed vegetables
      -steamed sweet potato
      -avocado
      -plain cooked pasta (usually rotini or wheels)
      -toasted whole grain bread topped with peanut butter, Nutella, or apple sauce
      -whole grain Eggos
      -frozen chicken nuggets/tenders
      -frozen soft pretzels
      -frozen fish sticks
      -tiny balls of cooked rice wrapped inside toasted seaweed

I know I'm crazy lucky to have a baby without allergies and who's not picky in the least. This is true for everyone on both sides of our family though, so maybe it's a genetic and/or nurture thing. She's been eating the same exact meals as us since she was 11 months old. The pureed food stage didn't last very long at all lol.

We also only give her whole milk, Korean barley water, bottled water, and soy milk on a regular basis. She gets very limited quantities (no more than 4 oz. in a day) of orange, apple, or grape juice occasionally--too much citric acid easily gives her diarrhea yuck.

Ah, who knew food could be so stressful? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment