But I know the holidays are super fun for Saeri, so that's all that matters.. right? :P She gets spoiled rotten! Unbelievable amounts of gifts and clothes and treats, it's nice to be a kid. :) FMIL used FFIL's death to guilt us into spending almost the entire Easter weekend with her this year. (I know it sounds awful, but it's definitely more disgusting to see her using something like that as a tool for manipulating others.) We didn't end up doing anything with my umma for Easter, ugh. Sunday itself seemed like a week long, but I'm happy that we survived it with only one minor FMIL incident.
We started off by attending Easter service at Church of the Saviour, a large United Methodist church. The building was GORGEOUS, I totally regret not getting a picture of it. I was really impressed with this church. There were ushers and greeters everywhere, and everybody was really warm and welcoming. It was relatively diverse for an Ohio church, and overall I liked the sense of community they had. They even had kiddie bags available to keep the children occupied (and quiet) during service, awesome! The only thing I didn't really like was that the service felt a bit choppy, like it didn't flow smoothly. FMIL said that's how Methodist service normally runs, so Appa and I probably just aren't used to it.
This was Saeri's first time at church though, so she quickly became restless and fidgety. And to make matters worse, FMIL chose to sit in the pews near the front, instead of the balcony area in the back that was specially designated for families with young children. She talked rather loudly (she has no concept of an inside voice) to Saeri the whole time, and she kept lifting Saeri up, very likely blocking the view of any poor sap who chose to sit behind us. So damn embarrassing.
But Saeri was showered with compliments, even specially pointed out by the minister, and there's no easier way to a mother's heart than that. :D
FMIL is now using my positive feedback of this church to resume her infatiguable attempts at pressuring us to christen Saeri in a Protestant church. We've already discussed and decided, as the parents, to raise her in the Catholic church. Neither of us completely agree with Catholicism, but we agree that it's the religion that fits us best. But FMIL doesn't care about our opinions, and she's going to flip out when we finally get Saeri baptized lol.
Anyhow, when we got back to FMIL's house, we had brunch (made by Appa because we both hate his family's cooking) and the Easter egg hunt.. indoors. It was such a dreary, rainy Easter this year. Saeri is only 16.5 months old, so she didn't really understand the concept of the egg hunt. We left them in clusters on the floor, so she could easily see them. Appa wouldn't let her open up the eggs until she had gathered them all though, so Saeri got tired of egg hunting very quickly. She kept picking one up, then running off and turning her back towards us, trying to open the egg before Appa caught her rofl. In the end, Saeri got 48 eggs filled with treats, and we got to 'ohh' and 'ahh' over how cute she was running around in her Easter outfit. (For the record, Saeri is inherently cute. The fugly dress and shoes were bought by FMIL. The bolero and hair bow made it a little better.)
I bought the eggs really cheaply at Michael's for $1.50 per 24ct. bag. I also bought an 8-pack of travel-size cereal for $4.88 to fill the eggs with. I used the Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs, Trix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams, and the marshmallows from the Lucky Charms. I think it was pretty inexpensive for the variety of treats I could put in the eggs. They weren't the most healthy cereals, but holidays aren't about healthy anyway. ;) Plus it's better than a bunch of chocolate or jelly beans!
Saeri did get her own chocolate Easter bunny, of course. I just love love love her basket, white wicker with a pink eyelet lining and sized perfectly for a toddler! I had to wrap the handle with ribbon though, there were sharp wicker pieces sticking out all over the place.
We then filled the gap between brunch and dinner by taking a 3 hour long family nap. We really just wanted to get away from FMIL, but Saeri's naptime was a good excuse lol. Afterwards FMIL accused us of "leaving her alone on Easter" and "not being sensitive to the fact that FFIL just passed away", and she stormed out of the house. She truly is crazy, ugh. So we went and got her, came back and had (an awful) homecooked dinner, and finally went home around 11.00pm. Then she spent the following morning screaming at Appa for "never doing anything for her". I hate her.
And next is Mother's Day... yay.
No comments:
Post a Comment