So we started potty training today... O_O::
I won't lie: I have no idea what I'm doing. She'll be 15 months old in a few days, and I have yet to introduce a single potty training concept to her. All I've done so far is quietly slip a pack of Hello Kitty undies into the cart when I accompanied my umma to Target. I wanted to have her potty trained around 12 months old, as is typical of Korean ummas... um, yea, FAIL.
The truth is that we haven't had enough funds to purchase a potty seat. It's so depressing that we can't even afford a one-time payment of $30 for a potty seat. *sigh* But let's talk about my financial woes another time.
BUT! My FMIL gifted us with this potty chair yesterday. It's not the one I would've chosen (as is always the case), but she found it at a bargain price during one of her daily trips to Big Lots (also always the case). I had already researched a lot about different types of potty training supplies, and I had settled on this BabyBjorn potty seat because I just didn't think a stand-alone potty chair was necessary for us. Saeri wants nothing to do with things that don't look exactly like ours. That means, for example, at restaurants we have to feed her off our plate since she won't touch anything off the kiddie menu. So I was convinced a potty chair, especially one that looks nothing like a toilet, would be counterproductive. But we all know beggars can't be choosers. Bah.
When Saeri and I woke up this morning, I took her to the bathroom... and immediately realized that I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CRAZY I'M DOING. Why hadn't I thought of googling "how to potty train" beforehand?! I started by introducing the commands "pants down" and "pants up-y", but it wasn't much help since commands take a couple days to sink in. So then I demonstrated how to use the adult toilet... which may have been helpful if she wasn't already busy getting into the undersink cabinets. FAIL #2.
Since then, I've replaced her diaper with one of the cute Hello Kitty panties, brought the potty chair downstairs into the living room, and sat her on the potty every half hour. I've also decided to go with "shui" and "eung-gah" as the commands for pee and poo, respectively. There hasn't been a single movement yet, pun fully intended keke. xD But I've realized that a potty chair is pretty damn convenient. Its portability means I don't have to spend the whole day in the bathroom with my un-diapered baby. She's free to run around the living room and play with her toys, while the potty chair patiently waits for her in the corner.
And for anyone who's wondering, there is no method to my madness. I'm making it all up as I go, just like my parenting lol. It's the Yoori Method to potty training... or anti-potty training, whatever the case may turn out to be. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment