16 March 2011

My Poor Frankenbaby

It's really heart-wrenching when your baby gets hurt. Whether it turns out to be a minor scrape or a broken bone, the initial shock is pretty intense. Or... maybe I'm just more dramatic than most people? :P

Last week, my FMIL wanted to spend 2 days/1 night at a local hotel with her grandbaby for her birthday. We--as the grandbaby's parents--were reluctantly invited along as well. -_-; The only person I trust to babysit Saeri is my own umma, and I require her to stay at home and not take her anywhere while babysitting. I know I've got some trust/attachment/dependence issues... but more on that another time. :)

First off, this hotel was so dirty! It's an older hotel that used to be upscale back in the day, but it obviously hasn't been well-kept. Why the crap does it still have 3.5 stars? I know the Cleveland tourist market isn't great, but way to permanently scare away any tourists who might venture here! We stayed in what was supposed to be a suite, but I can't believe how disappointing it was. Both keys barely worked (had to jam it in repeatedly), the carpets were littered with giant stains, both TV remotes desperately needed a change of batteries, the glass cordials looked like they hadn't been properly washed in years, some of the sheets had stains (ew!), the coffee maker was dead, there was exactly ONE towel for 3 adults and 1 baby, and the metal was peeling off the provided crib! Oh.Mah.Freaking.Gah.

But the best part? The appalling lack of customer service! Shall we discuss just one of the instances which warrant such a bold claim? A complimentary breakfast was included in our package, and it was set up buffet style so we got several plates to share. When it was nearing the end of the 'breakfast period', one of the cafeteria workers came out and asked if she could clear our plates... when we clearly were NOT done eating. Obviously we declined, but then she had the audacity to emphatically tell us that the dishwasher would be leaving soon, this would be the last and final time she would come around, and so could she have our plates? Um.. let me think... EFF NO. What does the dishwasher leaving have to do with hospitality?? But it doesn't end there! This same worker takes the time to find out our suite number and goes knocking on the door to find my FMIL. Well she got an even angrier response from my FMIL lol. We then complained at the front desk and asked for the Food & Beverage Manager... who never came. We also dealt with a janitor who kept mopping underneath our table while we were still sitting there, and the food was swarmed by fruit flies halfway into our meal. WTF. I would never recommend this shit hotel to anyone!

So back to the original point of this post, Saeri ended up getting her 1st major boo-boo during this trip. Remember how I mentioned that I have attachment issues with my baby? Well on the 2nd day, FMIL offered to take a walk with her before lunch, so that Appa and I could get some rest. I felt so so so reluctant, because she was planning to take her outside the hotel, but I quietly agreed since I was supposed to be working on letting go. They were supposed to be gone for an hour, but imagine my surprise when they were back at the door after just 10 minutes. And Saeri's nose was bright red. FMIL kept apologizing, and at first I didn't really grasp why; I thought her nose had gotten rosy from the winter air outside. Then it clicked and I FREAKED.. inside my head. Somehow I was able to keep my cool outwardly and not punch my FMIL in the face. I could tell it was pretty scraped up from her nose all the way to her forehead, but it didn't seem too bad since only the tip of her nose was red and bleeding. And then a day passed, and the entire region had darkened considerably. It may be irrational, but I was so furious with both Appa and myself for allowing my borderline-obese FMIL to be alone with a hyperactive 15 month old. Is that harsh? Yes, I fully admit that. But she is getting old, her body is deteriorating, and she's very large... all of which mean that it's nearly impossible for her to react quickly enough if my toddler suddenly runs off and trips on a cement sidewalk littered with sharp chunks of salt. Poor Saeri basically slid on her FACE! :'(

Here's a picture of what my cutie normally looks like (I know I'm totally biased lol):


And here's how she looked about a week after she first got the scrape:


I know, I know, it's not the worst thing that could've happened. But I feel so discouraged everytime she rubs her face because the scabs are itchy... I still feel so guilty that I wasn't there. Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment